Explore Bastrop, TX
Just down a few miles southeast of Austin, Texas, wonderful Bastrop County has plenty to inspire, entertain, and invigorate you. Comprised of the cities of Bastrop, Elgin and Smithville, Bastrop County has something for the whole family!
From outstanding golf courses to walking trails, the city of Bastrop has something for every outdoor enthusiast. Its historic district features more than 130 homes with historic markers or medallions, and galleries feature art from all across Texas. Relax and rest at a cozy Bed and Breakfast, Hotel or a Four-Star Resort… Bastrop boasts them all!
The city of Elgin has been designated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as a National Main Street Community. The historic district includes 14 city blocks, with most buildings being constructed with locally manufactured brick. In fact, over 267 million bricks are produced in Elgin every year, earning Elgin the title of “Brick Capital of the Southwest.” For an authentic meal, see why Elgin has become the “Sausage Capital of Texas” at any of its award-winning BBQ eateries.
After you have filled your plate, ride your bike through oak-lined streets and beautifully-wooded Buescher State Park. Take a moment to visit the Railroad Museum and Visitors Center to learn more about Smithville’s Guinness World Record for “World’s Largest Gingerbread Man.” Smithville touts a variety of historic bed & breakfast inns, plus downtown shopping and restaurants to please any palate.
Explore Bastrop County, your new getaway, without having to go far away.
Top 10 Things to Do in Bastrop County
1) Meander along our Main Streets! Bastrop, Smithville and Elgin all have charming Main Streets with unique art galleries, artist studios and boutiques for great shopping, and delicious restaurants to satisfy every appetite.
2) Be inspired by beautiful artwork. Bastrop County has a unique and vibrant art community. In fact, the cities of Bastrop and Smithville are two of only 26 cities to win a Cultural Arts District designation from the Texas Commission on the Arts.
3) Dine at fun and tasty eateries. Our county boasts several award-winning restaurants including one of the best barbecue restaurants in the country. Did you know that two of our award-winning restaurants have been featured in Texas Monthly Magazine? Find out why!
4) Make a splash! Come enjoy some outdoor fun on the Colorado River or Lake Bastrop while kayaking, canoeing, swimming or paddleboarding. If you like water, you’ll love our rivers, lakes and waterways.
5) Play in the parks. Have some fun in the sun and hike one of our abundant parks including two state parks, a top ranked fishing lake and a dynamic nature center.
6) Hit the links! Play a round or two of golf at one of our challenging courses including the #1 Hidden Gem Course in Texas.
7) Sample our special vintages. The rolling hills of Bastrop County creates some of the best tasting wine and spirits, so spend the day touring our wineries and distilleries. Raise a glass at the end of the day, as you taste our many varieties.
8) Explore our history. Known as the “Historic Triangle,” Bastrop, Elgin and Smithville were voted three of the most historic small towns in Texas. Step back into the past in our historic cemeteries, neighborhoods, museums and courthouse.
9) Rest and relax. Throughout the county, you will find a variety of accommodations to suit every taste and budget. From Bed and Breakfasts to 5-Star Luxury, and everything in between, we have you covered.
10) See even more on ExploreBastrop.com for our seasonal events, more great attractions and touring plans that will inspire, entertain and invigorate you!